Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Happy Valentine's Day

Here's a really sweet cover from 1928 and the best among the very few Bolles Valentine's day themes. A couple months back I included this image in a group of bulls-eye style compositions. For some reason Bolles had his sights on this theme in 1928; there were four true bulls-eye covers and another where the girl was framed by an easel, far more than any other year for Film Fun.

But back to today's theme. It's really too bad that Bolles did so few Valentine covers and because they are so rare I'll include one more from 1926, but not because I like it. Precisely the opposite, in fact. This is an example of a Bolles style I have my druthers with. It's not just that she is sub-clinical anorexic, but the combination of the slight frame and large head make her look too young, and the provocative (really provocative) nightie just adds to the discomfort level, at least for me. There a couple other seriously underweight cover girls on Film Fun in 1926 but the rest were more fulsomely framed, so go figure. I'll likely do an entire post on this particular style of Bolles girl because she reappeared in 1929 on the covers of Pep and Spicy before Bolles abandoning it in 1931. These covers, by the way are courtesy of Mark Forer, photoshop clean-up man par excellence.



I'm including one additional cover from 1933. Technically, she's not a Valentine girl but her heart's in the right place.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar